Full time, hybrid location. Earliest available start.
- Office (Kyneton)/Working from Home
- Field work to be undertaken across Victoria, requiring potential overnight stays
- Field work will be a major component (2-3 days a week)
Restoration Manager, BushBank
Cassinia Environmental is open to applications for the role of Ecological Restoration Officer. This role will play an important role in the assessment of properties managed by Cassinia Environmental. The applicant will undertake site assessments on properties recruited through the BushBank Program, capturing site information to contribute to restoration projects.
For further questions, and to submit your application please email email@example.com. Applications for the position should include a cover letter and a CV.
Applications will close, Monday 4th September, 2023.
Qualifications and experience:
- Degree or certificate in Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management or related field. Demonstrated experience is strongly favoured over level of education.
- Experience in the collection of ecological information from site assessments within the state of Victoria, particularly through central Victoria.
- At least five years of experience in a similar role.
- Experience in managing multiple tasks in an efficient manner.
- Experience in land management activities and understanding conservation management plans.
Objectives of role:
- Undertake site assessments on private land following the recruitment of landowners to the BushBank program and initiating the development of Restoration Management Plans for Cassinia Environmental’s BushBank program.
- During site assessments, capture important site information for a proposed revegetation project, including species suitable for revegetation, site characteristics, mapping of restoration zones, and identification of any threats or risks to a successful project.
- Provide assistance to the BushBank program on areas of ecological management and monitoring, including in the development of improving systems and processes.
- Undertake site visits with landowners as scheduled by the Restoration Manager.
- Complete high quality site assessment reports and restoration management plans, using in-field applications and technology, including GPS.
- Liaise with landowners participating in restoration projects and provide regular updates and reports to the Restoration Manager and Projects Manager of BushBank.
- Work closely with the entire BushBank team within Cassinia Environmental.
- Communicate with the Revegetation Manager and Seed Coordinator in the development of Restoration Management Plans.
- Input field data into an online database.
- Work collaboratively with Cassinia’s key partners in project delivery, including the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA) and Trust for Nature (TFN).
- Organise and manage multiple tasks in an efficient manner.
- Communicate professionally with landowners involved in restoration projects.
Skills, knowledge and competencies:
- A well-developed understanding of conservation, ecological, and restoration principles.
- Ability to identify the species of larger lifeforms of an ecological community, including Eucalyptus and Acacia species.
- Proficient with computer software, including simple mapping tools, spreadsheets, word processing, and email.
- Teamwork: willingness to assist and support others as required. Desire to work as a team, to connect and nurture people and the environment.
- Time management/organisational skills: accomplish objectives effectively within the time frame given and carry out reporting within the portfolio in an efficient and timely manner.
- Communication skills: strong written and verbal communication skills with various stakeholder groups, principally landowners and co-workers.
- Interpersonal skills: outstanding interpersonal skills. A strongly developed collaboration approach to working with a range of teams and groups.
- Ability to undertake work in isolated and remote areas. As required, use of emergency devices, location apps, map reading and radio communication skills.
- Full driver’s licence and access to a personal vehicle (when a work vehicle is unavailable).
- Interest in conservation and restoration of the natural environment
- A good level of physical fitness to undertake field work in challenging environments.
- Professional approach to work
- Interest in working well with others
- Ability to work under pressure
- Attention to detail
- Self-organised and time-efficient
- Confident manner
- Positive approach to change
- Reliability, Flexibility, Humility
- Service & Gratitude
Our priority is to recruit within Australia, due to availability of local skilled workers. We encourage applications from individuals who already have the legal right to work in Australia. Please be advised that only candidates who meet these requirements will be considered for the position.